Give Peace a Chance !
The peace symbol was created during February 1958 by British designer Gerald Holton. Holton drew the symbol in preparation for the Aldermaston Marches, a series of anti-nuclear weapons protests beginning in April of that year and organized by the Direct Action Committee (DAC). Another prominent anti-nuclear weapons group, the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND), was established around the same time and decided to adopt the peace symbol as its logo. Holton’s design, a black circle with a vertical line down the center and two downward pointing lines at 45 degree angles on either side of the center line, was not copyrighted and has since become an international symbol for worldwide peace.